Restaurants in Amsterdam
The Dutch people in general don’t eat much in restaurants, so when they do it is a special occasion for them. Despite this, Amsterdam offers a wide variety of outstanding restaurants. As you probably already expected, there are even over a dozen of Michelin star rated restaurants, such as: Librije’s Zusje, &Samhoud Places and Sazanka. Besides these high rated restaurants you can find so much good quality restaurants without such a star. Amsterdam has over a thousand restaurants in different price ranges and with different cuisines. Places with a French, Thai, Chinese and other popular cuisines, are easy to find. You can literally find one on each corner, but restaurants with a Dutch cuisine are difficult to find. In the list below there are some included, so you don’t have spent hours finding one yourself.
Which areas to go to?
Restaurant in Amsterdam are very well spread throughout the city. Though there are some areas with a high density of restaurants. Main areas to eat can be found at the Rembrandtplein square, the Leidseplein square, the Nieuwmarkt square, Utrechtsestraat, Jordaan area and the Pipe area. Here you can have a lunch or dinner 7 days a week, but some can be closed on Monday and Tuesday. In Holland it is a habit to have a lunch with a sandwich, so don’t be surprised when you can’t order a dinner in the afternoon. You will have to keep in mind that many kitchens open from 17:00 and stay open till approximately 22:00.
A list of restaurants to recommend
Don’t spend much time looking for a restaurant yourself. Below there are some great places to eat.
- Haesje Claes – This restaurant is located at the Spuistraat and is close to the Rembrandt and Leidse square. They have a Dutch cuisine and the interior is typical old Dutch decorated.
Address: Spuistraat 275
- Sushi ‘n Sake – A bit out of the center at the Dappermarkt, but really serve one of Amsterdams best sushi.
Address: Dapperstraat 34A
- Restaurant NEL – A restaurant with a contemporary cuisine with typical Dutch ingredients. What really makes this restaurant special is their large and beautiful terrace.
Address: Amstelveld 12
- Bistro Bij ons – Close to the Jordaan and the Dam square you can find this restaurant with Dutch cuisine. You will enjoy typical Dutch meals in a typical old Dutch interior.
Address: Prinsengracht 287
- Buuf – Just outside the Vondelpark Buuf serves you popular dishes for attractive prices, i.e. a burger dish for less than 10 EURO.
Address: Overtoom 495